Camp Col Romeo A Abendan, Zamboanga City – Joint operatives of Regional Intelligence Unit 9, 5th Special Action Battalion-Special Action Force, Regional Special Operation Group, Zamboanga City Police Office-Intel Branch, Sulu Police Provincial Office – Intel Unit, PNP- IMEG, CIDG9, MAPIO, National Intelligence Coordinating Agency, RMFB9 and Zamboanga City Police Station 7 conducted law enforcement operation through service of search warrant at Margarita Drive, Brgy San Roque, Zamboanga City at 3:00 AM of February 2, 2021.
However, during the implementation of the search warrant, the subject who was armed with caliber 45 pistol and attempted to evade arrest, fired upon the operating units that prompted them to return fire which resulted in the neutralization of Arrasid Adjing Halissam a.k.a Guru Ara, who was declared dead by the responding emergency team.
The operation was conducted by virtue of Search Warrant Number 04-2021 to abovementioned subject for violation of RA 9516 (Illegal possession of firearms and explosives) issued by Hon. Peter V. Eisma, Presiding Judge, RTC 9th Judicial Region, Branch 15, Zamboanga City and initiated in relation to the alleged retaliation plan of DI/ASG Sulu based under ASGSL Mundi Sawadjaan to conduct atrocities in Zamboanga Peninsula and BASULTA areas.
Arrasid Adjing Halissam aka Guru Ara was listed in the 2018 Periodic Status Report (PSR) on LTG who was previously identified under the Ajijul Group or the Zamboanga cell ASG. As per the Periodic Status Report, he is the trusted man of slain international terrorist, ISIS / ASG Leader Isnilon Hapilon and facilitator of late Malaysian International Terrorist Zulkipli Bin Hir a.k.a Marwan.
Previously, while Guru Ara was with Zamboanga cell ASG, he was involved in various atrocities in Zamboanga Peninsula which includes the following;
- Kidnapping and beheading of a kidnapped victim Doroteo Gonzales on 2009 in Brgy Buenavista, Zamboanga City;
- Kidnapping of Kevin Lunsmann, Gerfa Yeatts Lunsmann and Romnick Jakaria on July 2011 in Brgy Tictabon, Zamboanga City;
- Kidnapping of Warren Richard Rodwell on December 2011 in Brgy Pangi, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay;
- Kidnapping of two Chinese Nationals Yuan Lin Kai and Jian Luo in Poblacion, Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay on June 4, 2012;
- Kidnapping of Sabrina Ikbala-Voon on February 19, 2014 in Brgy Mercedes, Zamboanga City;
- Bus Terminal Bombing in Guiwan, Zamboanga City on January 23, 2015 that resulted to the death of 2 individuals and have injured 52 others; and
- Kidnapping of Nwi Seong Hong, a Korean National on January 2015 in R.T. Lim, Zamboanga Sibugay.
He was involved in the kidnapping of six (6) Jehovah’s Witness members and their Muslim guides in Sulu on August 20, 2002 wherein two (2) of the kidnapped victims were beheaded while other victims were rescued by the security forces in Sulu.
The subject was monitored in Zamboanga City facilitating the recruitment of new members of Daulah Islamiya and believed to be involved in financing terrorism who acted as financial conduits of DI/ASG. Also, the subject is directly communicating with DI/ASG Sub-Leader Mundi Sawadjaan and was monitored planning to conduct terror attack in Zamboanga Peninsula and BASULTA areas.
Initial Items recovered during the conduct of search were the following; a. one (1) unit cal. 45 pistol, chamber loaded with inserted magazine; b. one (1) hand grenade; and c. IED components (to be itemized by RECU9).
Meanwhile, PBGEN Ronaldo Genaro E Ylagan, Regional Director commended the operating units for the success of the operation. He also thanked the cooperation of the community who helped the intelligence community in the case build-up through series of surveillance. (PRO9-PIO)